Nov 7 | 6:30pm
@ Jackman Hall
Sliding scale $5-15
(no one turned away for lack of funds)
The innovative films in this program fracture the typical coming out narrative into something far more complex. Recalling the cool restrained tone of a CBC Radio documentary, The Common Fag provides a study of the behaviour of gay men sure to strike us all as very familiar. Spanky’s offers a glimpse of queer life in Small town Ontario where a local strip club becomes a refuge for the narrator. Homegrown complicates the notion of history as a stable and coherent narrative by creating a disorienting collage using juxtaposed images and audio fragments. Off the Highway Like Another Deer is a brilliant collage of shattered elements, revealing a deeper truth about sex and gender. A Splendid Case of Doubt is a love story incorporating the weird, the sublime, and the furry. In I, Will, a solitary figure walks down the street, goes home, and disrobes. In Framing Device, despair at the state of the world nurtures a longing for solitude and simplicity.
- The Common Fag. Dir. Michael V. Smith, 2018, Canada, 4 min.
- Spanky’s. Dir. Mée Rose, 2018, Canada, 4 min.
- Homegrown. Dir. James Dixon, 2019, Canada, 4 min.
- Off the Highway Like Another Deer. Dir. Sofia Higgins, 2019, United States, 9 min.
- A Splendid Case of Doubt. Dir. Daniel Moshel, 2018, Austria, 4 min.
- I, Will. Dir. Ieda Lagos, 2019, Brazil, 17 min.
- Framing Device. Dir. Andrew Patterson, 2019, Canada, 27 min.